What's Going On? --
Iron Pigs Mascot Name Deemed Offensive
12/4/2007 3:15 PM
Byline: Mike Cunningham
Due to complaints from a local Latino organization, the new Phillies AAA farm team have changed their mascot's name. It seems that in the Lehigh Valley in Pennsylvania, the term 'pork chop' is a slur against Latinos.
There goes the $1 Pork Chops Days
Due to complaints from a local Latino organization, the new Phillies AAA farm team have changed their mascot's name. It seems that in the Lehigh Valley in Pennsylvania, the term "pork chop" is supposedly a slur in this region of Pennsylvania. Perhaps it's the only place. The Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs have named their mascot "Ferrous" which may be only offensive to Matthew Broderick.
Some of my closest friends call me "Cunny". Some might find that nickname offensive. As it refers to a certain part of a female's body. Yet, someday when some sports franchise decideds to honor me by naming their mascot after me, I hope it won't get the same treatment. I love Pork Chops. I had a great Pork Chop at Deuce just last Tuesday. There are a lot of names someone might find offensive. In sports we have names like Fighting Irish and Redskins, that could be considered offensive. Heck, the way the Bush Administration has distorted the term Patriot, I find that offensive. But Pork Chop? Let's hope no one thinks the Phanatic is an offensive term. Now, Swoop on the other hand...
- Proof of Concept # 136 (32kbps)
- -- 15mb -- 66 min -- Phillies, Larry Craig, Kevin Federline, Wild and Wacky
- Proof of Concept # 135 (32kbps)
- -- 14mb -- 60 min -- Phillies, Playoff Beards, Tug McGraw Memories
- Proof of Concept # 134 (32kbps)
- -- 13mb -- 64 min -- Phillies, Cramps, Dreams, Race
- Proof of Concept # 133 (32kbps)
- -- 16mb -- 68 min -- Phillies, PETA, Summer Tivo, Jumbo Squid
- Proof of Concept # 132 (32kbps)
- -- 17mb -- 70 min -- Wild and the Wacky, Alec Baldwin Father of the Year
- Proof of Concept # 131 (32kbps)
- -- 16mb -- 65 min -- Phillies Opening Day
- Proof of Concept # 130 (32kbps)
- -- 20mb -- 81 min -- NSFW: Steak and BJ day, Rant From the Road, Worst Cover Songs
- Proof of Concept # 129 (32kbps)
- -- 17mb -- 73 min -- Al Gore, UPS Rant, Lassie
- Proof of Concept # 128 (32kbps)
- -- 19mb -- 80 min -- Lent, WDRE Tribute, James Brown and Anna Nicole Burial Plans
- Proof of Concept # 126 (32kbps)
- -- 23mb -- 96 min -- Christmas Eve Holiday Special featuring Festivus, George Bailey and a sick Santa.
267-828-0112. Leave message after second beep.
ProofOfConcept at hammradio.com
Just Click The Arrow and Play! (NOTE: will play the MOST recent Podcast!)
Wanna Chat about anything you read here? To start chatting click here!.
-- Mike Cunningham, HammRadio.com