9 Thoughts From the Game (Now with Video) --
Phillies Win, 6-4. Can You Feel It???
9/28/2007 2:18 AM
Byline: Mike Cunningham
Watch the video of the final out of today's games and check out my thoughts on tonight's game. As the Phils take 2 of 3 from the Braves and sit atop the NL East.
That's what the final out of the ball game looked and sounded like tonight, as the Phillies win 6-4 over the hated Braves. What a game. What a night! 3 More games... 3 wins and you guarantee a PLAYOFF spot. That's right, I said, for the first time since 1993, the Phillies could be in the playoffs. Can you feel it???Tonight was the first time I twittered during the game. This helped me keep track of my thoughts during the game. I'm sure you appreciate it.
- You could feel the buzz in the parking lot on my way into the ballpark. That's special. What wasn't special was the rally towel they gave me. It was a plain white towel. Tuesday night had a Phillies logo on it. Hope it works.
- The MVP Chants for Jimmy Rollins reverberated through the ballpark as I headed to the concessions.
- I hate coming to the ballpark late. But I was stuck in traffic getting into the lot. And I was hungry so I hit the Chicken Finger stand while the Phillies were up. The Cashier started SCREAMING when Shan-o's bunt turned into the Phillies first run. It's late in the season, they didn't have any sauce for the Chicken Fingers. But that didn't bum me out. We were up 2-0 by the time I hit my seat.
- Ryan Howard's home run probably killed someone, that thing FLEW out to Right Field.
- My sister called me today, I think she was angling for going to the game with me on Sunday. She asked "What's wrong with Burrell". My mom was on the train with her. She hates when people bash Pat The Bat. Mom said, Pat Burrell is going to hit a home run to win the game. My sister asked her, "Do you mean a walk-off homer?" My mom said, "Not a walk... A homer." My sister said to me, "I don't think she knows what a walk-off homer is." That's my mother. Pat the Bat hits a 2 run homer to go up 6-0. The crowd went nuts
- Let's talk about Kendrick. He pitched great tonight. That is until he gave up the back to back home runs. My girlfriend called me up asking me what the score was right after Larry hit the 2 run shot. While on the phone with her, Tex hit his shot. Georgia quickly got off the phone not wanting to hear my rage!
- Uncle Cholly entered the game early, taking out Burrell in the 6th, preparing for the double switch. First pinch hitter off the bench, Pete LeForest. He hit into a double play. And the folks at Beerleaguer were quite nervous!
- In his defense, Cholly did a good job managing tonight. His line up was spot on. Bringing in Gordon in the 7th to face the righties, Romero in the 8th to face Chipper and Tex. It was all set up for Myers in the 9th.
- Finally, let's talk about the fans. They were tremendous tonight, even if the rally towels probably poked about 17 eyes out tonight. You can just tell from the video above how LOUD the fans were. It was a tremendous night. My only regret is that I won't be at the game Friday or Saturday night. But like the Jacksons asked on the Victory tour, Can You Feel It???